Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bird's the Word...

Last Monday, we got the newest addition to our family. Vegas is a 35 year old Yellow Naped Amazon. The first few days were the roughest for sure. I still have a couple of the bite marks a week later! Of course, I don't know what else anyone can expect from an incredibly intelligent bird that had had at least 3 new homes in 35 years, and the last 2 in 5. His original(?) owner passed away, and he ended up with a really awesome lady named Andy. As it turns out, she already had a Yellow Naped, named Babbles. Babbles was incredibly jealous, and became a real jerk, so even though she tried to make it work for the past few years, the birds just weren't having it. So she found us, and I am absolutely in love with this bird! I never knew I'd find a bird to be a better pet than a DOG!! But honestly, this guy is incredible. He snuggles up to me, and talks to me all the time. I hate to sound arrogant about it all, but I think that in the end, and especially because I spend so much time with him, that Vegas is MY bird. That I am HIS human, his flock leader. He seems to listen to me the best, and he already gives me silly bird-ish kisses. I hope so, even if it makes everyone else a little peeved. It's really only fair, though, if I am the one putting all the work into him, and his bonding. I need to cut this short for now, my back hurts, but I will come back later and talk more about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment